19.5.06

Secret Meadow Early Spring


Secret Meadow Early Spring, originally uploaded by MontanaRaven.

Although others come here (note the path through the grasses) I imagine that it is my very own secret meadow because I have never encountered another soul on my many walks through this magical place. Sam (our old dog) and I go here 3 or 4 times a week to explore. There are dozens of deer trails through the grasses and wild rose thickets. Sam leads the way, almost always choosing a different route, sampling the many delicious smells he finds with his nose.

When I first came upon this meadow and forest of dwarf aspens, I literally stopped in my tracks and my mouth dropped open. I sensed something truly unique here. Entering through the dilapidated crooked gate was like stepping into a grand, hushed cathedral -- the place evokes in me the respect, quiet, mystery and honor Nature deserves. I determined on that first visit that I would try to document what it was about this place that touched my heart and spirit so profoundly. I wonder if any of the other people who come to this place have similar feelings. I wonder how long it will remain since it's on the edge of an area that is being re-developed and the old things here are being bulldozed for the new.

Besides the beckoning path, the textures and the shadows here ... the aspens were what stood out to me first: the spirit of this place is embodied and contained in the aspens. They are old, but short and full of character ... in my photographs of the meadow and wood, I have found it next to impossible to convey the stunted growth of these aspens. I have tried to capture their essence, their dwarfish forms with my camera but I don't think I have succeeded.

When I am there in the midst of the odd proportions of these aspens, I clearly see their size and shape relative to my own body. Yet when I see the photos on my hard drive, something essential is missing -- they look almost ordinary. I would be interested in anyone's feedback on this, as I am having a hard time articulating what I want to accomplish with these photos.

2 comments:

Endment said...

What a wonderful secret meadow! i have some secret places in our woods - the view is trees but I love the light streaming through the canopy.

Your gate is mistical - the light is fantastic and wonder of wonders, you caught the bird in that wonderful light.

these photos stimulate thought and imagination

Maureen said...

thanks, endment. Have you taken photos of your special places in the woodlands? I'd be interested to see yours, as well.

That bird wasn't really there at the gate -- the gate image is a digital collage of several photos. But I'm glad you like it. I wanted that bird to be flying through the light! thanks for noticing.
Maureen