19.10.06

Life must go on. I forget just why.

This week, the Poetry Thursday prompt was to write about what we avoid ... poetry/poets/genres we avoid. Hmmm, well I decided to avoid this week's prompt altogether and just do a stream of consciousness thing pairing poems or quotes with the recent art pieces that have been inspired by my recent reading, thinking and writing.

So, I hope, as you are reading this post, you will discover writers who delight and inspire you as they do for me!

River Qi
River Qi, originally uploaded by MontanaRaven Copyright 2006 Maureen Shaughnessy

There is a vitality, a life force, an energy...that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost.
--- Martha Graham


I am an abyss I am trying to cross
I am an abyss I am trying to cross Copyright 2006 by Maureen Shaughnessy
originally uploaded by MontanaRaven

I say to my breath once again,
little breath come from in front of me,
go away behind me,
row me quietly now,
as far as you can,
for I am an abyss
that I am trying to cross

-- W.S.Merwin

I am exploring some of my feelings about life, death, mystery, what it is that does not separate us from everything we think is outside of ourselves ...
These pieces are part of a series I am working on, exploring the Life Force. To see the rest of this series, click here.

The soul moves in circles, said Plotinus.
Hence our lives are not moving straight ahead;
instead hovering, wavering,
returning, renewing, repeating.
-- James Hillman


Life must go on. I forget just why.
-- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Check out other Poetry Thursday posts by clicking this button:




11 comments:

Endment said...

The perfect matching of quote and graphic. Somehow visiting medical people let me loose sight of the priviledge of being unique. Thanks for the reminder!!!!!

Maureen said...

you are most surely a unique part of creation, endment. I hope you're feeling much better. ((((you)))) that's a hug for you.

che said...

fantastic visuals . matching the beauty of the poems . thanks.

Anonymous said...

I like what you came up with by avoiding the prompt! I especially love the first image.

Thanks for your kind words over on Poetry Thursday. I will certainly miss that project.

Maureen said...

Nike, thank you!

And Lynn ... good luck with however you will be spending your time. i wish you well.

White Square said...

Hi Maureen!
deep insights..lovely pictures ..
thank you!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful thoughts and images! Thanks for sharing.
--Robin

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Maureen, I think you should be putting together a book of visual and written images -- a very expensive coffee table book (if you have not already done one). I, for one, would buy it in a flash!

Bitterroot said...

I would scarf up several copies of such a book - for family and friends.

M, your words and images are beautifully conjoined. Thank you for sharing and distilling your reading and thinking with us. My reaction on reading/seeing your work is always: "oh - yes!!"

Small moments of satori...

ren powell said...

these are beautiful, thank you!

Maureen said...

thank you thank you thank you to everyone. What a great response! I would very much like to publish a book someday, maybe as a collaboration with another artist/photographer/poet/writer ... it will happen I'm sure, at the exact right time. Thank you, especially Pepek and E.... for your encouragement! -- Believe me I will post an announcement on my webpage when I do publish! You will be among the first to know about it. ;-D