4.8.06

Day of Grace


Day of Grace, originally uploaded by MontanaRaven.

I would like to include with this digital painting, the words of
John Gillespie McGee, which have been used time and time again .... still I love the feeling evoked in this short poem. I hope I haven't misquoted him. Here it is:

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun split clouds - and done
a hundred things you have not dreamed of
Wheeled and soared and swung
high in the sunlit silence
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft
through footless halls of air
Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
where never lark nor even eagle flew
And while, with silent lifting mind I've trod
the high, untrespassed sanctity of space
put out my hand and touched the face of God

-- Fl. Officer John Gillespie McGee 1922-1941

2 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

There are lots of sites with beautiful pictures, but I think yours is the most creative, the very best.

Maureen said...

thank you (!) Pepek. what a nice compliment.