19.2.07

Ancestor


Ancestor, originally uploaded by MontanaRaven.



This is my great grandmother on my father's side of the family. Her name is Alice Dunnigan Shaughnessy. She was around 19 in this photo -- photo was taken in approximately 1886.

The collage is made with 8 separate images in Photoshop. For those who have asked me how I make these collages, I will be publishing a separate page with the original images and a short narrative about (in general) my methods. Check back for a link from this post to that page in the next week or two.

7 comments:

Julie said...

My husband is sitting beside me and I'm showing off your way with photos. He's as impressed as I am. I've got to find time to experiment...

Maureen said...

hey, star ... thank you! I wrote you an email. I hope you make time to experiment with you own photos and imagery -- it's so fulfilling.

Endment said...

WOW!!!
I am in awe of your talent with the graphics!

I would love to stitch the costume for one of my fashion dolls. Do you know the date for the photo?

Tammy Brierly said...

This is FANTASTIC work! You turned an already interesting photo from the past and turned it into layers of beauty. You are so talented! HUGS

paris parfait said...

What a magnificent job you've done! It's gorgeous and meaningful.

Maureen said...

endment, the photo is dated 1886 -- it's my great grandmother, Alice Dunnigan Shaughnessy. If you'd like the original photo which shows the dress a little better than this collage does, I'd be happy to send it to you by email. just let me know. maureenshaughnessy(at)gmail(dot)com. I'd love to see the dress you make :-D

Pam said...

This is a wonderful, layered picture, i love it's depth. I have noticed crows in other pieces of your work, they're an interesting dimension.

Thank you for sharing your techniques, I'll be watching for it!