13.3.07

Still Life with Dental Impression & Wishbone



Our kitchen windowsill changes depending on the season Or on whether I feel like cleaning up or not (more often not.)

I just dusted.

Dusting is a really strange human activity ... in our particular case, household dusting (which I do about twice a year) is one of those thankless tasks that is never really completed. I use a feather poof to chase the dust from the highest surfaces down, watching the minute particles float and dance in a shaft of sunlight. Then I sweep or vacumn (i.e. stirring up dust) brush my hands off and pretend the house is cleaner.

Waiting for Dawn The light-as-breath soup known as household dust is mainly composed of skin cells, dog and cat dandruff, all kinds of stuff from the atmosphere, actual dirt, mold spores, tiny mites and other flora and fauna better left unmentioned. We have alot of soft, floaty black dog hair in our house, too.

Mites, you say? Ugh! Well, get used to it -- dust mites live on just about every surface in a typical house, especially in mattresses, pillows, carpets and upholstered furniture. There are even some kinds of dust mites that live suspended in the air. These tiny boogers eat other dust particles and their poop becomes yet another ingredient of household dust. the ones that live in your pillows are eating your dead skin cells. (Ah, the succulence! the delicacy!) Yuck! It's almost enough to make me want to hold my breath when I'm dusting. Or maybe I should borrow a face mask from Tim's woodworking shop.

Oh yeah -- Tim brings plenty of dust home from his shop. But I'll save that rant for another time. Sweet dreams tonight! :-D

btw, if you want to see something really cool, check out this website with hundreds of photos of DUST



No comments: